Energy Retrofit Loans
City of Toronto
What is Energy Retrofit Loans?
The Energy Retrofit Loan program offered by the City provides building owners with an opportunity to access fixed, long-term, low-interest financing.
This program is designed to support investments in low-carbon, energy-efficient capital improvements, helping to reduce energy consumption and promote sustainability.
With this program, building owners can embark on retrofit projects that enhance the energy performance of their properties while enjoying the benefits of affordable and stable financing options.
- Access financing for up to 100% of project costs at a rate aligned with the City’s borrowing costs. Enjoy repayment terms of up to 30 years for eligible projects.
- Receive funds at the start of your project, allowing for seamless implementation and timely completion.
- Explore the possibility of unsecured loans, providing flexibility and convenience in accessing the necessary funds.
- Benefit from up to one year of interest-free and payment-free period, giving you financial flexibility during the initial stages of your project.
- Receive support in accessing utility incentives and Federal grant programs, maximizing the financial assistance available for your energy retrofit initiatives.
The Energy Retrofit Loan Program extends to various building types in Toronto, including:
- Commercial, Retail, and Industrial buildings
- Multi-family Residential buildings
- Condominium buildings (for common areas only, not individual units)
- Social Housing buildings
- Hospitals and Long-term Care facilities
- Schools, Colleges, and Universities
- Not-for-profit buildings
- Hospitality establishments
Third parties are also eligible to apply on behalf of the building owner, and the funds will be disbursed to the building owner upon approval.
Eligible measures/technologies include:
- Heat pumps
- High-efficiency boilers, chillers and HVAC
- Building envelope improvements
- Building automation systems and controls
- Lighting retrofits
- Renewable energy systems
- Energy/battery storage
- Fuel switching
- Other retrofit measures/technologies
How To Apply:
Step 1: Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI)
To begin the application process, download and complete the ERL Expression of Interest form PDF. Provide basic details about your project and submit the form to info@ greencanadahome.com
Step 2: Detailed Application and Supporting Documents
If your project meets the eligibility criteria, you will be invited to submit a detailed application. This application will require additional documentation to verify the energy and carbon savings of your project and create a comprehensive business case.
Required documents include:
- Two years of audited financial statements
- Detailed project summary, including estimated energy and emission savings, project costs, and a feasibility or engineering study
- Technical specifications and equipment details
- Facility description and project management timeline
- Additional documents may be required based on the specifics of your project.
Step 3: Technical and Financial Review
City staff will carefully review your application and conduct a thorough technical and financial assessment. This review process will determine the eligibility of your project for funding.
Step 4: Funding Agreement
Once your detailed application is approved, the City will prepare a Funding Agreement that outlines the terms and conditions between the building owner(s) and the City of Toronto. Both parties must sign the agreement to proceed.
The interest rate specified in the agreement will remain valid for 60 days. After this period, the rate will be updated to reflect the City’s current cost of borrowing.
Sample agreements can be provided for relevant projects.
Step 5: Fund Disbursement
Upon approval and signing of the Funding Agreement, the funds will be disbursed to the building owner as outlined in the agreement.
The City provides fixed-rate financing for eligible projects, covering up to 100 percent of project costs. The terms of the financing can extend up to 30 years, depending on the business case assessment.
The interest rate for the financing will be determined based on the City’s cost of borrowing. Please note that the interest rate is subject to change as the City’s borrowing costs fluctuate on a daily basis. To inquire about the current interest rate or if you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected] We’ll be happy to assist you.
Energy Retrofit Loans: Financing for Sustainable Upgrades in Toronto
Apply for Energy Retrofit Loans today and access fixed, low-interest financing for your retrofit projects in Toronto. Improve your property’s energy performance, reduce costs, and contribute to a greener future. Start your application now.
Request a Call Back.
FAQs about Toronto's Energy Retrofit Loans
Green Canada Energy Advisors works in partnership with the Energy Retrofit Loans program to provide expert guidance and support to building owners in implementing energy-efficient retrofits.
The Energy Retrofit Loan program provides building owners with access to fixed, long-term, lowinterest financing for low-carbon, energy-efficient capital improvements.
The program offers financing for up to 100% of project costs, flexible repayment terms, unsecured loans, and support in accessing utility incentives and federal grant programs.
Eligible buildings include commercial, retail, industrial, multi-family residential, social housing, hospitals, schools, not-for-profit buildings, and more.
Eligible measures/technologies include heat pumps, high-efficiency boilers, building envelope improvements, lighting retrofits, renewable energy systems, and more.
Start by submitting an Expression of Interest form, followed by a detailed application with supporting documents outlining project details and financial information.
City staff will review your application, conduct a thorough technical and financial assessment, and if approved, prepare a funding agreement outlining the terms and conditions.
The City provides fixed-rate financing with terms up to 30 years, and the interest rate is determined based on the City’s cost of borrowing.
Yes, approved applicants can receive funds at the beginning of the project, ensuring seamless implementation and timely completion.
For inquiries or assistance with the Energy Retrofit Loan program, please contact Green Canada Energy Advisors at [email protected].